Durable, Non-slip Surface Protection for Commercial Projects
The Skudo Commercial System is ideal to protect surfaces from construction site damages and spills in large commercial projects. The system consists of two layers:
- A water-based liquid Base Coat – sold in 5 gallon buckets and
- A pre-treated, patent pending Mat – sold in 3 grades and 800 square foot rolls.
The Mat is pressed into the wet Base Coat to create a seamless, non-slip barrier that adheres to your protected work surface. On average, one Mat roll covers one bucket of Base Coat.
Two Grades Available
The Skudo Commercial System comes in two grades, or degrees of protection – HT (Heavy Traffic) and MT (Medium Traffic). Your Skudo representative can help determine the right product to protect your construction environment.
Durable and Reliable
The Skudo Commercial System provides one of the most durable and reliable methods of surface protection available today, saving you the time, labor and materials of a call back at job’s end. The revolutionary Patent-Pending design forms an extremely tough outer skin that temporarily adheres to your surface, preventing dirt, debris and grime from getting underneath. Skudo’s Commercial Mat System provides varying levels of protection against:
- Machinery driven on the surface
- Scaffolding & shoring
- Impact from long term foot traffic and dropped materials
- Mold & bacteria
- UV Exposure (HT only)
- Spills & stains, including paint, mortar, coffee, cola
- Mild solvents
- Sparks & Fire (HT only)
- Dirt & debris
See what’s been said in a 2013 test at Concrete Decor Magazine – Protecting your Concrete Work Surface on the Job Site
Improved Jobsite Safety
- Unlike other products laid on top of the surface, Skudo adheres to the surface and is seamless when laid properly. The risk of trips or equipment snagging is greatly reduced.
- The Skudo system is non-slip, having achieved the highest slip rating in both wet and dry conditions in laboratory tests (HT Mat – R Bot-3000 Static and Dynamic and MT Mat – R Bot-3000 Static and Dynamic).
- Skudo is stationary – it won’t move with site activity or strong wind – so it will never drift on or away from the site, taking construction site debris with it.
Isn’t it all about saving time and labor? Skudo can be laid in the early project phases and left on for the job’s duration (up to 12 months for HT). On polished concrete, complete your edgework, then lay Skudo before the walls go up.
Cleans the surface upon removal
When Skudo is peeled up, it takes dirt up with it that was previously in the surface. No need to sweep or spray for clean-up. On renovation jobs, the surface will be cleaner than when the job started.
Skudo Mats create a “blank canvas” over the floor that can be used for safety signage or advertising for the project’s duration.
The two Skudo Commercial Mat Grades (HT and MT) each offer varying levels of protection and durations of use. Work with your Skudo representative to determine the most suitable choice for your construction environment, and see the Skudo Product Manual for complete details. Following are important considerations when assessing which Skudo Mat will be appropriate for a given job.
1. Expected Construction Traffic
- Skudo’s HT Mat can handle machinery such as forklifts or man lifts. However if MT Mat is applied, or machinery is large in size or frequency of use is high, we recommend additional protection in the form of physical sheeting or boarding on top of the Mats in high trafficked areas. That said, MT can handle infrequent use of lighter machinery.
- Scaffolding & Shoring – HT and MT Mat can both handle shoring and scaffolding on top.
2. Duration of Use
The duration of protection provided by Skudo Mats is driven in part by the level of construction traffic involved. In general, the Mats can be expected to perform as follows: HT Mat – 12 months interior, 9 months exterior; MT Mat – 9 months interior only.
3. Interior or Exterior Projects
The HT Mat is suitable for both interior and exterior applications, since it provides sufficient UV protection for the Skudo Base Coat. MT Mats are not recommended for outdoor projects.
4. Water and Spill Resistance
HT offers the highest water and spill resistance of the three products. Spills sit on top of the HT Mat giving workers time to mop them up. MT offers moderate water and spill resistance.
The Skudo Commercial System is suitable for a variety of substrates, including:
- Sealed or polished concrete (Cured 14+ days)*
- Raw Concrete – Steel troweled or light broom finished (Cured 14+ days)*
- Epoxy flooring
- Grouted and sealed natural stones
- Cured fiberglass
- Most primed metals
- Porcelain and ceramic tiles
- Sealed hardwood
- Most hard sealed surfaces
The Skudo Commercial System is not suitable for certain substrates, including but not limited to:
- Transparent substrates where UV can affect the Base Coat (see Skudo Glass Advanced)
- Most linoleums and vinyls – the pH of the Base Coat can affect the surface (see Skudo Flooring Tack-Mat)
- High pH substrates (above 11.0) not neutralized (such as prior to a 14 day cure of concrete)
- Acid washed concrete
- Fibrous materials such as carpet, fabric or felt
- Rubber surfaces
- Painted substrates
- Unfilled travertine
- Unsealed hardwood
- White oak (hardwood)
- Substrates that have had other coatings applied that are not yet fully cured to their manufacturers specifications (such as densifiers, grouts, sealers, guards, epoxies, etc.)
- Weak or latex based grout on polished concrete
Your Skudo representative can work with you on the usage and limitations of Skudo on various substrates, construction environments and weather conditions. Of particular note:
- Hardwood, some natural stones and concrete mixes require pre-seal before using Skudo, and moisture content of any surface should be below 15%. Please refer to the Skudo User Manual for more information.
- All adhesives have some potential to lift finish coatings or paint depending on the condition and age of the floor surface. Skudo Mats are formulated to work with most common industrial floor surfaces, but you should always test a 6″ x 6″ piece in a noncritical area before use.
Testing prior to application is critical for complete compatibility even on substrates listed above. Some substrates perform differently due to a range of factors, and it is important to test the surface every time. Apply the Skudo Base Coat with a brush or roller to a sample test area of approximately 12 square inches. Dry time will vary between 10 to 30 minutes depending on airflow, temperature, humidity and sunlight exposure. Once the Skudo Base Coat is completely dry, peel it up. Inspect the surface for peel-ability, discoloration or staining and unusual residues.