Durable, Non-slip Surface Protection for Commercial Projects
The Skudo Commercial System is ideal to protect surfaces from construction site damages and spills in large commercial projects. The system consists of two layers:
- A water-based liquid Base Coat – sold in 5 gallon buckets and
- A pre-treated Commercial Mat – sold in 2 grades (HT and MT) and 800 square foot rolls.
The Skudo Commercial Mat is pressed into the wet Base Coat to create a seamless, non-slip barrier that adheres to your protected work surface.
Two Grades Available
The Skudo Commercial System comes in two grades, or degrees of protection – HT (Heavy Traffic) and MT (Medium Traffic). Your Skudo representative can help determine the right product to protect your construction environment.
Protected in the United States by patent #10190004
Durable and Reliable
The Skudo Commercial System provides one of the most durable and reliable methods of surface protection available today, saving you the time, labor and materials of a call back at job’s end. The revolutionary design forms an extremely tough outer skin that temporarily adheres to your surface, preventing dirt, debris and grime from getting underneath.
The Skudo Commercial Mat System provides varying levels of protection against:
- Machinery driven on the surface
- Scaffolding & shoring
- Impact from long term foot traffic and dropped materials
- Mold & bacteria
- UV Exposure (HT only)
- Spills & stains, including paint, mortar, coffee, cola
- Mild solvents
- Sparks & Fire (HT only)
- Dirt & debris
See what’s been said in a 2013 test at Concrete Decor Magazine – Protecting your Concrete Work Surface on the Job Site
Improved Jobsite Safety
- Unlike other products laid on top of the surface, the Skudo Commercial System adheres to the surface and is seamless when laid properly. The risk of trips or equipment snagging is greatly reduced.
- The Skudo Commercial System is slip-resistant, having achieved the highest slip rating in both wet and dry conditions in laboratory tests:
- The Skudo Commercial System is stationary – it won’t move with site activity or strong wind – so it will never drift on or away from the site, taking construction site debris with it.
Isn’t it all about saving time and labor? The Skudo Commercial System can be laid in the early project phases and left on for the job’s duration (up to 12 months for HT). On polished concrete, complete your edgework, then lay the Skudo Commercial System before the walls go up.
Cleans the surface upon removal
When the Skudo Commercial System is peeled up, it takes dirt up with it that was previously in the surface. No need to sweep or spray for clean-up. On renovation jobs, the surface will be cleaner than when the job started.
The Skudo Commercial System creates a “blank canvas” over the floor that can be used for safety signage or advertising for the project’s duration.
The two Skudo Commercial Mat Grades (HT and MT) each offer varying levels of protection and duration of use. Work with your Skudo representative to determine the most suitable choice for your construction environment.
Below are the most important considerations when assessing which grade of the Skudo Commercial Mat will be appropriate for a given job.
1. Expected Construction Traffic
- The Skudo HT Commercial System can handle machinery such as forklifts or man lifts.
- NOTE: If the machinery is large in size or frequency of use is high, we recommend additional protection in the form of physical sheeting or boarding on top of the Mat – such as our SkudoBoard HT product line.
- The MT Commercial System can handle infrequent use of lighter machinery, as well as material carts and foot traffic.
Scaffolding & Shoring:
- HT and MT Commercial Systems can both handle shoring and scaffolding on top.
2. Duration of Use
The duration of protection provided by the Skudo Commercial System is driven in part by the level of construction traffic involved. In general, the Skudo Commercial System can be expected to perform as follows:
- HT Commercial System – 12 months
- MT Commercial System – 9 months interior only.
3. Interior or Exterior Projects
The HT Commercial System is suitable for both interior and exterior applications, since it provides enough UV protection for the Skudo Base Coat.
The MT Commercial System is for interior use only.
4. Water and Spill Resistance
The HT Commercial System offers the highest water and spill resistance of the two grades of protection available. Spills sit on top of the HT Commercial Mat, giving workers time to mop them up.
The MT Commercial System offers moderate water and spill resistance.
The Skudo Commercial System is suitable for a variety of substrates, including:
- Sealed or polished concrete (Cured 14+ days)*
- Raw Concrete – Steel troweled or light broom finished (Cured 14+ days)*
- Epoxy flooring
- Grouted and sealed natural stones
- Cured fiberglass
- Most primed metals
- Porcelain and ceramic tiles
- Sealed hardwood
- Most hard sealed surfaces
The Skudo Commercial System is not suitable for certain substrates, including but not limited to:
- Transparent substrates where UV can affect the Base Coat (see Skudo Glass Advanced)
- Most linoleums and vinyls – the pH of the Base Coat can affect the surface (see Skudo Flooring Tack-Mat)
- High pH substrates (above 11.0) not neutralized (such as prior to a 14 day cure of concrete)
- Acid washed concrete
- Fibrous materials such as carpet, fabric or felt
- Rubber surfaces
- Painted substrates
- Unfilled travertine
- Unsealed hardwood
- White oak (hardwood)
- Substrates that have had other coatings applied that are not yet fully cured to their manufacturers specifications (such as densifiers, grouts, sealers, guards, epoxies, etc.)
- Weak or latex based grout on polished concrete
Your Skudo representative can work with you on the usage and limitations of Skudo on various substrates, construction environments and weather conditions. Of particular note:
- Hardwood, some natural stones and concrete mixes require pre-seal before using Skudo.
- All adhesives have some potential to lift finish coatings or paint depending on the condition and age of the floor surface. Skudo Mats are formulated to work with most common industrial floor surfaces, but you should always test a 6″ x 6″ piece in a noncritical area before use.
Testing prior to application is critical for complete compatibility even on substrates listed above. Some substrates perform differently due to a range of factors, and it is important to test the surface every time. Apply the Skudo Base Coat with a brush or roller to a sample test area of approximately 12 square inches. Dry time will vary between 10 to 30 minutes depending on airflow, temperature, humidity and sunlight exposure. Once the Skudo Base Coat is completely dry, peel it up. Inspect the surface for peel-ability, discoloration or staining and unusual residues.