Quick and easy to apply by roller or airless sprayer
Two coats should be applied for best results. Drying time will take 2-4 hours, but can vary according to the relative humidity and ambient temperature. Maximum peeling strength will be achieved in 5 days. When required, Deck Defend is removed by hand peeling or pressure washing, revealing a clean, undamaged surface with no residue. The peeled coating can then be simply condensed into a small ball and disposed.
- Test Area & Test Peel – You must always apply Skudo Deck Defend to a small area to test the substrate’s suitability. You must ensure that all substrates are covered. Allow the product to dry for 48 hours, and then check that the product will peel away from each substrate.
- Masking – Mask all areas that you don’t intend to coat with Skudo Deck Defend. Items such as locks, handles and vents should always be masked with a suitable tape. Always remove the tape once the product has been applied and is still wet.
- Weather – Skudo Deck Defend cannot be applied if the temperature is below freezing or in rainfall. If the surface is likely to be exposed to direct rainfall before the product has dried, do not apply.
- Stir Product – Remove the lid and stir the product thoroughly before use. A skin may have formed when the lid is removed for the second time. Simply cut the skin away and then stir the Skudo product. Do not stir the skin into the product. Deck Defend has a 12 month shelf life – see product’s label for Batch Date.
- Wet Film Thickness – Ensure you have a wet film gauge. Skudo Glass Advanced requires a minimum wet film thickness (WFT) of 10 Mils.
NOTE – Do not apply Deck Defend to Acrylic surfaces. It will bond permanently.
Tools & Equipment
Roller Application: We recommend that you use a 3/8 Nap lambswool roller.
Spray Application: If you use an airless spray gun, we recommend a minimum tip size of 0.021” (eg: 321, 323 or 325) and that you use a shield to protect against over spray on brick work, stucco, etc.
You’ll also need:
- Masking materials or Shields
- A Wet Film Gauge
- Cleaning supplies for equipment
How to Apply by Roller
Click on each step for a full explanation and visual.
Step 1: Apply a Base Coat
Once you have masked off the area, apply a base coat of Deck Defend to the substrate paying particular attention to vulnerable areas such as corners. Allow to dry for 15 minutes or until coating is tacky.
Step 2: Apply a Second, Thicker Coat
Apply a second, thicker coating, again paying particular attention to corners. If the coating is too thin in these areas it will be difficult to remove.
Step 3: Check the Coating’s Thickness
Use a wet film gauge to check the coating’s wet film thickness (WFT) is at least 10 Mils.
Step 4: Remove the Masking
Remove the masking tape while the product is still wet. This helps to achieve a good thick edge that is easier to peel when the product is no longer required.
Step 5: Dry for At Least 2 Hours
Leave to dry in a rain free environment and allow around 2 hours at room temperature to dry. The product will gain maximum strength after 5 days.
Step 6: Wash Equipment
After application, rollers and any other equipment should be washed thoroughly in cold water.
If the coating is damaged at a later date, a new coating of Skudo Deck Defend can be applied over the damaged area. It will bond to itself and provide seamless protection.
When required Deck Defend is removed by hand peeling. Do not remove in freezing conditions – the product will be brittle and not peel properly. The coating can be condensed into a small ball and disposed of.